How CompassCare is Responding to COVID-19
CompassCare is actively monitoring the progression of the coronavirus, COVID-19, to ensure the health and safety of our employees and clients. We have made it our top priority to have and share the most accurate and latest information on the impact of the virus. Our corporate office is focused on emergency preparedness, caring for existing clients, and accepting new referrals for clients with COVID-19. As new cases continue to be identified in the areas we serve and the situation continues to develop, our protocols will be adjusted as needed, and we will provide oversight to ensure that all recommended standards are being strictly followed. We are also continuing to obtain necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) to keep our CompassCare Assistants (CCAs) safe.
CompassCare is following The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations, local and county authorities, the Home Care Association of America, and the latest travel guidelines to safeguard and support our employees, clients, and community.
The elderly and people with underlying medical conditions are most vulnerable, and because this is the population we serve, we know that our clients have concerns and we want to share with you how CompassCare is responding to COVID-19.
Safety Protocol for Our CCAs (Caregivers)
In addition the health and safety protocols provided by the CDC and county officials, at CompassCare we are providing the highest standards of infection prevention practices and are taking additional measures to keep our employees and clients as healthy as possible.
CompassCare is following CDC travel-related guidelines, which instructs that anyone who has traveled internationally should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitoring their health, and practicing social distancing.
Following are the safety protocols that CompassCare’s COVID-19 Task Force reinforces with all of our CCAs (caregivers) to help keep our clients safe:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water during shift. Perform hand hygiene and wash hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. This includes hand washing before and after meal preparation and before entering the home.
- CCAs are self-screening for symptoms prior to the start of any client visit or shift and take temperature every day. They are instructed not to come to work if they are sick or exhibiting any symptoms at all.
- Always wearing a mask while commuting to a client’s home
- CompassCare Client Service team is monitoring mask preferences for every client
- Providing hand sanitizers, masks and Lysol wipes for caregivers and clients
- Removing shoes upon entering a client’s home and change into indoor shoes/slippers
- Washing hands immediately after arriving and before greeting the client
- Using proper technique when putting on gloves and removing them
- Additional sanitizing of high-volume points of contact including side rails, faucets, door handles, keyboards, over bed tray, tables, phone, remote controls, light switches…
- Using bleach or Lysol to clean and disinfect. If not available, using white vinegar.
- Disposing of gloves properly and using a new pair each time personal care is provided
- Using the dishwasher or if the dishwasher is unavailable, cleaning dishes, glassware, and utensils by hand, using hot water and wearing gloves
- Emptying trash at the end of shift wearing gloves
- Reiterating with our employees all recommendations for healthy and safety to ensure that they are well-versed and compliant with best practices.
- Refraining from going to work if feeling ill and are having symptoms such as cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath. The latest symptoms also include chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell.
How CompassCare Can Help and How You Can Help Us
We encourage our clients and prospective clients to inform us if they or anyone they have had contact with have recently traveled or had exposure to someone with COVID-19.
Here at CompassCare we are continuing to closely monitor the situation and evaluate additional measures to support our clients, employees, and communities. We will continue to provide our caregivers with education on how to recognize signs and symptoms of COVID-19, persons at risk, and measures to take when caring for clients with or exposed to COVID-19.
Should you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to us directly. Our phone lines and inboxes are always open to you.
Where can I find more information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
We recommend you stay up to date on the current situation. Here are some resources to find additional information on the Coronavirus:
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC):
- World Health Organization (WHO):
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
Other Resources and Live Updates: