January 28, 2016

Who are the professionals who can assist me or my family at home and what are their roles?

1) Did you know if you or your loved one requires assistance at home following a stay in a hospital or sub-acute rehabilitation facility, there are professionals who may assist you in your home?

Upon discharge from a hospital or rehabilitation facility, it is essential that you have an advocate, either acapable family member, friend or professional care manager, to ensure that your hospital or skilled nursing facility discharge plan includes assistance at home from a nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, and/or home health aide, as needed.

Without effective advocacy upon discharge, you or your loved one may not get the support needed upon returning home. You may need a nurse to provide medical care and education to the patient and/or their caretaker regarding new medications and/or protocols. You may need an occupational therapist to assist you with daily living tasks that many of us take for granted. You may need a physical therapist to exercise and strengthen the body. You may need a speech therapist to help you or a loved one relearn how to speak following a stroke or other brain injury. And, you may need a home health aide to assist you with activities of daily living and/or instrumental activities of daily living (ADLs and IADLs).

2) Did you know that if you or your family member suffer from diminished capacity due to aging, illness, or other ‘non-acute’ processes, and you need custodial care (assistance with ADLs and/or IADLs) at home, you will need the assistance of an advocate, either a capable family member or friend, or professional geriatric care manager, to help identify your needs and to procure assistance?

You or your family member may struggle with memory loss and/or diminishing physical capacity that render you unable to live independently at home. You may need the assistance of a home health aide with ADLs and/or IADLs. You may also need a nurse to teach a caregiver how to properly assist with the administration of medications such as insulin. You may benefit from an occupational therapist, physical therapist, and/or speech therapist. You may also benefit from an art, music or psychotherapist to further enrich and enliven your life. These professional services can ensure that you or your loved one are properly cared for and supported so you may continue to live a safe and meaningful life at home. Compass Care Assistants can help with many of these factors on a longer term basis once the immediate need is not so acute.